Sunday, April 15, 2012

An iPhone full of music

About a month ago, I got my first iPhone.


My old cell phone was a reliable Samsung that was about 7 years old. I decided to retire it after I had to start recharging the phone twice a day. I needed something more reliable.

With the purchase of the iPhone, it also allowed me to demote my iPod nano (about 5 years old) to backup status. The nano has been a heck of a great asset, providing many long drives and late nights with music that kept me awake / sane / functional.

One of the big perks was an upgrade of space for music ... I went from 4 gigs to 16 gigs. Know what that meant? Lots and lots of music added.

Because I'm starting to get to the point where I don't want to haul around 50 or more CDs every day, having some capacity to hold some of my favorite stuff is certainly a nice situation. While I don't have every song song I love by every artist I like on the iPhone, I've got more than 3,000 songs on it.

And that's nice ... because I literally WAS hauling 50 or more CDs with me whenever I went places. Felt like I had a store rack tethered to me.


So, what's on the phone?

Most of the best music ever made. Well, OK, that's an exaggeration. But most of the best music I own, that's for sure.

I've got more than a hundred Beatles songs. More than a hundred Beach Boys songs. More than a hundred Queen songs. More than a hundred Pink Floyd songs. More than a hundred Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers songs. About a hundred Rolling Stones.


I've also got dozens of Bruce Springsteen songs. There's Simon and Garfunkel on there. The White Stripes. The Who. Nirvana. Eminem. The Band. Neil Diamond. Bob Dylan. The Doors. The Eagles. The Monkees.


And there's more.

I've got The Animals. I've got The Dave Clark Five. There's some Manfred Mann on there. I've added a pinch of Styx and more than a dollop of Billy Joel. There's a dash of Creedence Clearwater Revival and more than a little David Bowie. Some Elton John is in the blend, for sure.


I've got Syd Barrett on the phone. And some Badfinger, too.


Chuck Berry. Roy Orbison. Elvis Presley. The Everly Brothers. Larry Williams. Little Richard. Louis Armstrong.


I've got Brian Wilson and Dennis Wilson. John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison too. Paul Simon has joined the party, as well.


Eric Clapton. Green Day. Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons. Harry Chapin. Jimi Hendrix. The Traveling Wilburys.


Sure, you'll find some Led Zeppelin. And some Kinks, too. Michael Jackson is doing the pop thing, and My Chemical Romance keeps me screaming along.


And I wouldn't leave R.E.M. off my radar. I can't ignore The Clash, and I wouldn't dream of leaving The Boomtown Rats off my phone.


Sure, there's stuff that I haven't loaded up. Music I really love. Songs that I wouldn't want to live without. But with getting all these heavyweights on the phone, I can throw a dozen CDs in a bag and have all the bases covered. The Fleet Foxes, The Head and The Heart, Prince, Arcade Fire, AC/DC, 'Weird Al' Yankovic, Johnny Cash ... All of these artists, and so many more, will continue to hold my heart (and my ears). But I can grab them when I crave them. I'll always have the essentials on the phone.


What music do you carry with you at all times? What music means the most to you? What songs do you listen to the most, and which artists go wherever you go?

Fill me in, folks! I'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...